Friday, March 7, 2008

Rome/Egypt, Love/Lust


Dr.Edwin’s class today, we were introduced to another play “Antony and Cleopatra”, one of Shakespeare’s works. I have indeed heard of their names before but sadly I have no idea what the play is about. All this while I thought it will be a story of two lovers during the ancient time. I was not that wrong after all. After reading the play I can conclude it’s a story of two passionate and power-hungry lovers. There is much to dislike in them both, Cleopatra being scheming, manipulative, treacherous and Antony a middle-aged fool, possessed by an adolescent devotion, out-of-touch with the changing political realities in Rome. Here is everything in one play - love, lust, politics, war, loyalty, treachery, austerity, pleasure, dignity, shame. The two lovers presented in the play may be world leaders, but they are also, after all, only human beings—flawed and aging ones at that. We as human beings share their mortality; many of us recognize their strong feelings of jealousy, love, shame, and insecurity. Despite their historical grandeur and thanks to Shakespeare's sensitive portrayal of them, Antony and Cleopatra are no more—and no less—extraordinary than we are.

No comments: